After having worked for four years between 1951-54 with Le Corbusier in Paris, B. V. Doshi returned to Ahmedabad to supervise Le Corbusier’s projects. His studio, Vastu-Shilpa (environmental design), was established in 1955. Doshi worked closely with Louis Kahn and Anant Raje, when Kahn designed the campus of the Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad. In 1958 he was a fellow at the Graham Foundation for Advanced Studies in the Fine Arts. He then started the School of Architecture (S.A) in 1962.
Doshi is a Fellow of the Royal Institute of British Architects, and has been on the selection committee for the Pritzker Prize, the Indira Gandhi National Centre for Arts, and the Aga Khan Award for Architecture. He is also a Fellow of the Indian Institute of Architects.
Apart from his international fame as an architect, Dr. Doshi is equally known as an educator and institution builder. He has been the first founder Director of the School of Architecture, Ahmedabad (1962–72), first founder Director of the School of Planning (1972–79), first founder Dean of the Centre for Environmental Planning and Technology (1972–81), founder member of the Visual Arts Centre, Ahmedabad and first founder Director of the Kanoria Centre for Arts, Ahmedabad. Dr. Doshi has been instrumental in establishing the nationally and internationally known research institute Vastu-Shilpa Foundation for Studies and Research in Environmental Design. The institute has done pioneering work in low cost housing and city planning.
As an academician, Dr. Doshi has been visiting the USA and Europe since 1958 and has held important chairs in American Universities.
In recognition of his distinguished contribution as a professional and as an academician, Dr. Doshi has received several international and national awards and honours.
- Padma Shri, Government of India,1976
- Honorary doctorate from the University of Pennsylvania.
- France’s highest honour for arts the ‘Officer of the Order of Arts and Letters’, 2011.
- 6th Aga Khan Award for Architecture for Aranya Community Housing